Francis Asbury was one of the first two Bishops of the American Methodist Episcopal Church, established in 1784.
Like John Wesley, Asbury preached in myriad places: courthouses, public houses, tobacco houses, fields, public squares, wherever a crowd assembled to hear him. For the remainder of his life, he rode an average of 6,000 miles each year, preaching virtually every day and conducting meetings and conferences. Under his direction, the church grew from 1,200 to 214,000 members and 700 ordained preachers. Francis Asbury is the namesake of our church.
1791-The present Church began as part of the Coeyman's Patent Old Stone Church.
1809-Francis Asbury presided over a camp meeting in Greenville.
1812-The first Methodist Episcopal Church in Greenville was located on King Hill (known as Old Greenville.)
1825-Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church was built in West Greenville on the present corner of Rte 81 and Ingalside Rd.
1853-The Lamb's Corners Church (Olin Chapel) was built.
1857-Asbury church was moved to South st.
1873-Asbury Church burned and a new building was started in Spring.
1874-The Church in Norton Hill began when a group started a society.
1959-Asbury Methodist Church celebrated the 150th anniversary of Francis Asbury's camp meeting in Greenville.
1973-Greenville and Norton Hill merged and services held in both sanctuaries, six months each.
1981-The new merged congregation grew from a worshipping body of 50 to 200 each Sunday.
1982-The Sunday School Wing and Nursery School renovation was finished. Church Mouse Nursery School Opened.
1986-The sanctuary was enlarged and Day Care center was opened.
1993-Church placed on Greene County Historical Register.
1996-Lamb's Corners merged with Greenville-Norton Hill Church.
1998-Church Offices, associate pastor's residence and Thrift Shop opened in the Elliott House.
2002-Groundbreaking for the new, multi-purpose addition.
2004-Carney Center completed and opened for use.
2008- Purchased and Began Renovations on the Old Powell General Store, to be converted into New Thrift Shop.
2011-Elliott House Thrift Shop opens in renovated Powell Store building, complete with second floor apartment.
2020-Church shut down in March due to COVID-19 Pandemic.
2020-Church reopened in July and began Live-Streaming services.